Tuesday 16 July 2013

Ship Fit - Tengu Trader

I've been working on getting Tengu subsystems skills to V on my main for a couple weeks now. He has 3 down and 2 more to go. For use as a shiny hauler the only subsystems skills that really matter are Defensive (more tank) and Propulsion (better alignment time) so I trained those to V first and bought my first Tengu.

This is a tank fit intended for transporting valuable items in both low and hi sec. My requirements for the fit were simple. I wanted as heavy tank as possible without making it overly expensive and I wanted good speed, in particular alignment time under 4 seconds while flying solo without implants or boosters. And of course a Covert Ops Cloak was a must have. Here's what I came up with.


[Tengu Trader - lowsec]

Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Power Diagnostic System II
Power Diagnostic System II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile

Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Tengu Defensive - Supplemental Screening
Tengu Offensive - Covert Reconfiguration
Tengu Propulsion - Intercalated Nanofibers
Tengu Engineering - Capacitor Regeneration Matrix
Tengu Electronics - Emergent Locus Analyzer


254k tank with all Vs (253k with my current skills)
3.61 sec alignment time with MWD off (4.88 with MWD on)
1361 m/s with MWD on (239 with MWD off)

Fully cap stable at 54.9% (all Vs, 52.5% my skills) with everything (including the MWD) on.

472 million ISK total cost as estimated by Pyfa (the in game reality was a bit less than that).


In nullsec you'd want to swap in Tengu Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier. That'll lose you a low slot which means dropping a PDS and about 11k tank but it's well worth the trade-off for immunity to bubbles.

Medium CDFE IIs aren't all that expensive (under 30 mil each) and make a fairly significant difference in the tank, more than enough to be worth using over cheap CDFE Is. The nano is required to keep alignment time under 4 seconds without implants or boosters, with them the nano could be exchanged for another PDS.

I could go with a faction fit. Swap out the invulns and EM ward field for Dread Guristas or Caldari Navy, the PDSes for Caldari Navy and gain another 55k tank (308k total) but the cost would increase by nearly 3 times to 1.33 billion. Not worth it IMO.

Or I could get ridiculous and fit it with deadspace Pithium A invulns, Pithium X EM Ward Field and Caldari Navy PDSes for an additional 83k (426k total) at a total cost of 4.67 billion. Definitely not worth it, the fittings alone would make me a target regardless of cargo.

5 comments:

  1. If you are trying for a nullified tengu for lowsec transport... dont bother with weapons, use warp core stabs and dual-prop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not willing to drop that much tank for an AB + warp core stabs.

    Tank is always applicable but AB + stabs are kind of situational and I hardly ever run into situations where they'd help.

    Stabs alone I might use at times (I do carry a pair around in cargo) but for general purpose use I'd rather just have the tank.

    If I was mostly flying low or running major camps I'd go with stabs by default. But I mostly fly hi only occasionally darting in and out of low to pick something up and avoid the major camps.

    The weapons of course aren't strictly necessary. I fit them because they fit with no problems, they're cheap and it can't hurt to have weapons to shoot something with when I feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering that ships most likely to catch you are frigates changing the weapons to rapid light missile launchers might be an idea.
    In the worst case scenario you might be able to clear tackle before the big guns arrive. And if you are tackled by something larger you are most likely dead anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point.

      I thought about it but went with heavies anyhow because my missile skills are pretty good. I hit frigates with heavies though I haven't tried them against a good player in a really fast ship.

      If I find it's a problem I'll switch to rapid lights.

      Delete
  4. I'm not entirely happy with using Tengus for transport. Yeah it has nice heavy tank but it really needs to be manually flown.

    A typical cargo run for me is to head out empty, fly out 10+ jumps on autopilot to the furthest station with something worth making the trip for and then fly back on manual picking up more stuff along the way.

    Tengus are just too slow on autopilot and they lose most of their tank on auto too.

    ReplyDelete